2/1/2009 8:59:11 AM
I.T. Job Hunting - Important Questions
With the economy the way it is, a lot of people are getting laid off - even in the tech field. I thought it might be helpful to some to know the kinds of questions I ask whenever I go on an interview.
- Is this a public or privately held company?
- How long until benefits begin?
- What is the match, if any, for the 401K plan?
- Is it possible to retain my 3 weeks of vacation time, or is that a question for my immediate supervisor? If not can my amount of vacation be increased earlier than it would have been? 3 weeks at 1 year?
- What are the standard working hours?
- What are the current company policies on working from home? Is there a VPN?
- What types of training are provided?
- Are people sent to conferences? (I.e. Tech-Ed)
- Is there a company policy on side jobs?
- Do you host your own web servers?
- Is Java in use on any of the servers?
- What types of status programs are in use? Microsoft project, Team Foundation Server, etc.
- Is there a company intranet in place?
- Do you have a DBA?
- Are network admins responsible for updates on all servers (web servers included)?
- What rights are developers given on their own machines?
- What version of SQL Server is being used?
- Will SQL Server 2005 be utilized?
- Would I be allowed to bring in my own machine?
- Is there a wireless network?
- Is there "outside" internet access?
- If a publicly held company what is the current SOX process
- What programmers are in what programming groups? (How many AS400, How many Web, Etc.)
- Which programmers already have .Net experience?
- What percentage of programs the company runs are .Net?
- What types of systems are programmers given to work on? (I.e. I currently use a Dell Intel Core 2 Duo Laptop with docking station and dual screens.)
- Would I have the opportunity to go through sales/marketing training in order to understand their current processes in full?
- Who will be the ultimate decision maker in which direction a program should take?
- Are there any plans to look into open source solutions (I.e. Eclipse, Java) in the future?
- What type of source control software is utilized? (I.e. Source Safe, Team Foundation Server, SVN, etc.)
- Will the new version of Visual Studio.Net be used when it comes out this summer?
- Is anyone going to Tech-Ed?
- What types of specification processes are in place?
- Would I have an MSDN kit? Universal?